Monday, October 22, 2012

Pronounceable Ingredients

I don't recall where I first heard about the idea of eating pronounceable ingredients but it's an idea that makes sense to me.  A number of colleagues around me in the office are experimenting with the Paleolithic Diet theory and while I don't agree with it as a complete diet, I very much agree with removing chemicals and maximizing micronutrients in the food I make and serve to my family.  I'm not saying that additives like Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Nitrate or Butylated Hydroxyanisole are health hazards; I'm not an expert.

However I do know that our bodies were able to grow and evolve for hundreds of thousands of years without needing those chemicals to do so.   The fact is that we did consume animal protein and fats, wild fruits and berries.  As a species we thrived just fine without monosodium glutamate.  If I can cook decent (and tasty) meals without these ingredients, then why not?  I understand their place in our diets and I appreciate the convenience they can provide us.  As a culture we have busy lifestyles and food stabilizers make grocery store shelves cost effective.  But at the same time, thanks to Nova Scotia Power, I have a freezer that is almost always on and I can take advantage of that infrastructure to prepare meals in advance.  Meals that are high in nutrients and hopefully low in chemicals I have to think about to pronounce.  Not every meal is completely organic and unprocessed, but as my skills increase I am trying to iterate closer and closer to that goal.

And besides, having a full freezer saves us money in power and on the grocery bills.  How cool is that?

!Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment